Svpport

Time zone:

CST

Discord username:

Svpport

Time played in-game:

Since 12/26/2023

Previous staff/moderation experience:

I have been a Contributor for Elyx for a little over a month now and since then I have done my best to offer suggestions for future events of the server, beta tested for the new coming client to find bugs to help get the client released to the public quicker, and have been actively helping improve and create new ideas that could be used to benefit Elyx and its community. I have talked with Gambino quite a bit as well since becoming a Contributor and I know he can also vouch for me how dedicated I am to lend all the help and effort I can to Elyx and the staff team. It's always great to have a strength in numbers and server support is a role I have been striving for even before becoming a Contributor.

Specify your current availability in terms of time slots or hours per week/day:

Monday–Friday: Roughly around the time of 15:00–23:59 or later.

Saturday–Sunday: ~8:00–23:59 as needed unless something comes up last minute.

Why do you want to be a part of the Elyx staff team?

I am an active player and while I haven’t played as long as some of the others I feel as though I’ve gained the trust and likeness from a lot of other players. I have learned enough about the server where I can provide assistance to others about nearly anything they may have questions about. With the knowledge I have gained from being a Contributor, I can prove to be a beneficial asset to Elyx with this role. There are plenty great Contributors for the server and now I would love to help out as part of the server support team where there are less members.

What skills/qualities would you bring to the team?

I’m a determined player and person who even when given a new opportunity can learn how to carry out the expected tasks at hand. I have a degree in Computer Engineering as well where I learned how to do coding and as I slowly begin to prove myself I hope to be able to help out with handling the suggestions tab in discord that people are always adding to. As an ironman in the game I’ve learned a lot about Elyx in-game where other players may not have had to think/worry about. This has given me insight on aspects non-irons haven’t had to run into e.g. what works best to level skills when skilling materials are short. 

What experience do you have with OSRS or RSPS?

I’ve played OSRS for years and have nearly maxed an account on there and have dabbled with random RSPS’s years back and just recently decided to jump back into an RSPS where I found this one if I remember right just from a random ad. Instantly found myself enjoying and grinding this server from day 1. With all my experience from OSRS I know how the game works and where to find really anything in the game and the mechanics that go with all of the boss’s, minigames, etc..

How familiar are you with the specific features & gameplay mechanics of Elyx?

I have tried/done (to my knowledge) every minigame and boss in the game now enough to understand not only how to successfully do them in general but also what works best to do them with the most efficiency when you’re an ironman without access to strong gear right away.

Have you ever been a part of an in-game support team before? If so, what did you learn from that experience?

I was recently offered the pleasure of becoming a part of the Contributors for Elyx and have absolutely enjoyed being able to offer as much help and ideas as I can. When I see a new topic coming up for what the other staff wants to introduce for the server I hop onto it as quickly as I can to see what kind of opinions and modifications/improvements I believe could be useful. With what I have learned the past month being a Contributor all I have wanted was the ability to be able to do more to help improve Elyx and make it a server players will be wanting to play for years.

How comfortable are you working in a fast-paced, sometimes high-pressure environment?

I have learned how to keep my cool in situations where people may be panicked and are expecting the most from you when you are doing your best to help. I am lucky enough to have very few real life stressors that could affect how I act in-game currently. I am used to being in fast paced and high pressure environments with my Computer Engineering degree as well. When it comes to coding you need to be on your ‘A’ game and be able to sometimes find a needle in a haystack. One small error in a set of code can cause the entire thing to throw an error.

What qualities do you think are essential for someone working in a support role for an online gaming community?

As a server support for an online game, people need someone who can be readily available and also online during the peak hours of the day otherwise they lose interest in the overwhelming environment of a new game. You’re confused and don’t know where to start so you need someone to guide you and I feel I have the ability to guide players in the right direction. Ironman is a tough to start mode but I jumped right into it ready to go. You need to be able to keep your calm but also be assertive when dealing with players doing things against the better of the game.

How do you approach situations where you don't have all the information needed to solve a player's issue?

If I ever came across a situation where I didn’t have the information expected, I would try to lead them in the right direction of where to find that answer, whether that be looking on the website or telling them which player might know the answer instead. And of course then learn the answer myself for the future.

How would you handle a situation where a player is being abusive or harassing others in the game?

As server support, yes you want to be the one who is cool headed and a friendly face to the server, but you also need to know when to assert yourself against players causing issues in-game. You need to be patient with players like that and try to cool down the situation, not be aggressive to them and make it worse.

Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision as a support role. How did you handle it?

In my job I have had to talk with plenty of employees who you can tell absolutely don’t want to be there and don’t want to do the job expected of them. It needs to be addressed and I am okay with being the person that needs to do that if it helps control the issue quicker.

What training/resources would you require to be a successful server support?

While I feel I've learned a lot about Elyx already, there’s always more to learn and that’s something I feel happens as time goes on in the role, you learn more and more and get involved in many different situations and learn what does and doesn't work. Having now some experience as a Contributor I already feel I have learned so much more about what goes on behind the scenes in Elyx and how hard at work all of the staff seems to be on a daily basis. All I want is to be able to help take some of that workload off and get some of the important updates/changes moving.

Can you outline the contributions and efforts you've dedicated to Elyx thus far?

Being a Contributor for Elyx has definitely helped me voice my opinions for what I think could be added, changed, modified, etc. I try to look in the Elyx discord a few times a day to see if there are things that need to be done like helping come up with new ideas or testing new aspects of the game. I feel as though my efforts have definitely been shown and I am proving to be a useful asset to the Elyx staff team and moving up to the Server Support role, I only plan to do even more to benefit the growth of the server. Adding me as server support staff just means I get to help make the workload a little easier for the other support staff. 

How would you balance your role as a server support with your personal life?

Obviously gaming can’t be a higher priority than personal life things but I have played video games plenty during my life and went through college in an engineering degree and learned how to balance time to play a few games with friends but also knowing when I need to focus on the more important things like classes. I am graduated now so I just balance gaming, my job, and personal life.

• Like 1